Dinner is tough. At the end of the day, you’re tired, and take-out or a frozen dinner might seem like the best option. Then you eat take-out or a frozen or pre-packaged dinner and feel pretty uncomfortable, bloated, or irritable. You might even sleep poorly because of the extra salt and saturated fat that your body is having difficulty digesting- not to mention, the food hangover and sluggishness you might experience in the morning. With a little planning, fresh, clean, healthy dinners are possible without demanding too much time, money, or creativity. Clean up your kitchen and eliminate the processed, packaged foods and create some simple meals this week!
What I love about this week’s dinner menu:
- These meals can be assembled in less than 20 minutes
- You only need 1-2 pots/ pans
- You can mix and match many of the grains, proteins, and veggies
- They are simple- they don’t require fancy ingredients or cooking methods
- They are very healthy and super delicious!
All of the meals follow the Healthy Eating Plate with an emphasis on lots of veggies. I added an extra “greens” part of the menu because it’s fun to experiment with different greens- and these are the best for brighter skin, increased immunity, and greater energy.
- Choose a meal type, and use the ingredients from that column.
- Cook grains or beans (if dry) and set aside. Rinse and drain beans (if canned) and heat.
- Sautee/ pan fry protein and veggies until cooked, add herbs/ spices, and greens for a few minutes. Toss with healthy fat.
- Top grains with vegetables and protein- enjoy!
- Make grains at the beginning of the week and grab from the fridge to add to your meal
- Chop veggies all at once and keep in small containers to quickly toss into your pan
- Experiment with different combinations of proteins, veggies, and grains.