Below are two, 2-minute practices I include in my morning to increase energy and focus for my day ahead. These rituals help me to be mindful of how I am starting my day and how that impacts my mood and motivation throughout the rest of the day.
Warm lemon water (2 minutes)
First thing in the morning, I start up the tea kettle, slice a couple of lemons and add them to a quart-sized jar. I add the warm water (not too hot), and I drink this while I’m waking up, making my bed, and beginning to prepare for the day.
This is helpful for two reasons:
1) Dehydration saps energy- drinking a large glass of water first thing hydrates you and provides energy
2) The warm water and lemon help to detoxify your system and get things moving out (if you know what I mean)
So rather than making your first drink coffee or tea, try this first to boost energy and to provide a cleansing start to your day.
Deep breathing (2 minutes)
Pausing for two minutes to practice my favorite breathing technique helps to reduce any anxiety or stress caused by anticipation around what the day might bring. This is a mini-meditation to bring focus and clarity to how you would like to move forward with your day.
- Step 1: Place the tip of your tongue behind your top two front teeth
- Step 2: Inhale deeply through your nose for a count of four seconds
- Step 3: Hold your inhale for a count of seven seconds.
- Step 4: Exhale deeply, through your mouth and tongue for a count of eight seconds.
- Step 5: Repeat 3 more times.
Try these two simple practices for one week and be mindful and aware of how they impact the unfolding of your day.