Do you have enough fat in your diet?
Fat has been so essential for me in helping me to feel satiated after a meal, and it has significantly reduced my cravings for sugary foods.
Fats should be a key component in our diets, but included in moderation. Some benefits of healthy fats include:
- improved brain functioning
- prevention of heart disease
- lower blood pressure
- regulation of hormones
- reduced inflammation
Many people fear that eating fat will cause them to get fat, so they opt for “fat free” processed food options or “fat free” dairy. While all fats should be enjoyed in moderation, “fat free” foods often include extra salt or sugar to compensate for the flavor or texture lost when fat is removed. Fat-free does not mean the food is healthy.
This article describes some of the beneficial effects of healthy fats for fat loss.
How to incorporate healthy fats into your diet:
Opt for healthy, plant-based fats for optimal digestion and functioning.
My favorite sources of healthy fats include: avocado, nuts, nut butters (especially almond and walnut butter), seeds, flaxseed, olive oil, and coconut oil.
Sample meal plan:
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil, ground flaxseed, or nut butter to your daily smoothie
- Include nuts and seeds with your oatmeal or porridge
- Include nuts, seeds, olive oil, or avocado in your salad
- Avocado is also great with soup and fish. Fish is also a great source of healthy Omega-3 fatty acids
- Sautee your veggies in olive oil or coconut oil or add to sauces, grains, and soups
- Drizzle olive oil on bread or toast
Or try this super simple and decadent dessert full of healthy fat and deliciousness!
3 ingredient dark chocolate mousse
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 overripe bananas
- 3 T raw cacao powder
Mash all ingredients together with fork or in food processor until well blended and creamy. Serve immediately. (You could try this with cocoa powder, but cacao powder has a much richer and more chocolatey flavor. And because it’s less processed, cacao retains more of the nutrients and antioxidants chocolate is good for 🙂 ).